Looking out from our terrace this morning, we noticed a haze developing, it turned out to be fire and quickly took hold of the dry and arrid grassland around the lake.
It’s difficult to know what caused it, at this time of the year it could be a silly thing like the suns rays on a piece of glass. A very good reason to take your rubbish home with you and dispose of it sensibly!!
Obviously BBQs and open fires are banned at this time of the year and if the Guardia catch you throwing a cigarette end out of a car window, there is a hefty fine and several points on your license, not to mention the risk to life, animals and property.
It’s 42ºc on my terrace at the moment, we have had no rain since March and the fields are a tinderbox.
Fortunately, we have a brilliant Bomberos (fire service) and the added advantage of living near a huge lake so the fire was under control very quickly.
In an already delicate economy, fires kill wildlife and their environment (we have wild boar, lynx, griffon vultures, many birds and rodents) and kills the farm land. This is a rural area and because of the lack of rain earlier in the year, the olive crop (the mainstay and life blood of many families) is horrendous with some olives looking like rabbit droppings!!
Fires like this affect everyone, so please, take your rubbish home, don’t leave glass or combustible materials lying around, don’t light fires and be mindful and thoughtful of the impact you could have on this beautiful environment.